Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Letter from Arthur Bagnall to his half brother Thomas Higginson

Letter written by Arthur Bagnall in January 1921 to his half-brother Thomas Higginson. Arthur wrote the letter whilst staying with Anna Mack in Quanah, Texas, USA.  His half-brother was living in Sunderland, County Durham, England. Not very easy to read but I've made an attempt at transcribing it. Please let me know of any mistakes so they can be rectified.

TRANSCRIPTION
                                                                                                                    Jan 26--21
Dear Brother
You will wonder why I haven’t rote. I was dumbfounded to hear of mothers death. I had been looking forward to when I could make a visit. It has been so low for me this last couple of years and have been ...... in oil and development but had expected my interests to materialize before now the money has been so tight that oil drilling has almost been to a standstill. Business has commenced to …… and prospects are looking good I believe in the next month or 6 weeks I can realize some good  deals on my holding.  I expect some wells to come in as they are down to the oil and which will enable me to unload some of my stuff. And as soon as I can turn of this will send you enough money to bring both you and Emma out. I am at A’s in Quanah. I came 2 weeks ago, but expect to leave again this week for Arkansas
There is going to be quite a lot of money made there in the next couple of months so I will let you know beforehand when about the time, I can send for you.
A has got a 5 room house here so that you will be welcome to put up with her until we see further ahead. Which would to locate in Texas or Arkansas so don’t be uneasy I will send for you the first chance I can. We are having fine weather here sunshine almost every day A sends her regards and for you to keep the cheque she sent to mother A will write you this week sometime
With Love
AGB



No comments:

Post a Comment