Saturday, November 5, 2011

Arthur (Art) George Bagnall 1865 - 1941


Arthur George Bagnall, the second son of James and Susan was born in Westmeath, Ireland in June 1865. After starting his working life as a labourer in the coalmines of County Durham Arthur left for the United States in 1883.
I don’t know in which country Arthur married; I have not found any marriage details for him but as Art went to the States in 1883 and his first child was born in 1891 I think it is reasonable to assume that he and Mary Smith Boyd married in the United States. Mary Boyd was born in Scotland on the 14th April 1867 and died in Cleveland, Ohio in May 1945. 
In 1900 Arthur and Mary were living in Hamilton County, Nebraska with their first four children. Although they did live in Nebraska for a while, where Art was employed as a plasterer,  all their children were born in Illinois:
Helen Foster Bagnall b. 1891
Susan Judge Bagnall b. 1893
George Mathew Bagnall b. 1896
Mary S Bagnall b. 1898
Elizabeth G Bagnall b.c. 1905
In 1906 the family visited the UK returning to the States in mid-May aboard the SS Campania. At the time Art was working for McNulty Bros, 1501 Rockefeller Building, Cleveland.
By 1910 the family were living at East 111th Street, Cleveland, Ohio and Arthur was working as a superintendent at a contracting company. He certainly moved around as letters home tell of him in Texas and Arkansas and he even appears to have been speculating in oil in the early 1920's.
Art died in April 1941.

6 comments:

  1. Marriage information for Arthur George Bagnall and Mary Boyd

    Cook County, Illinois, Marriages Index, 1871-1920
    Name: Arthur G. Bagnell
    Age: 23
    Gender: Male
    Birth Year: abt 1865
    Marriage Type: Marriage
    Marriage Date: 20 Oct 1888
    Spouse Name: Mary Boyd
    Spouse Age: 21
    Spouse Gender: Female

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, thank you so much for that information. Are you related?? Regards Pam

      Delete
  2. Yes, I believe so through James Bagnall, first husband of Susan Judge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to swap information, although most of what I know is already on the blog. I am descended from Thomas Higginson - second husband of Susan Judge! My email address is haliwerfolc@gmail.com I would love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure where to update this info so I'm putting it here: My grandmother (my fathers mother) was Mary Bagnall Baisch. She went by the nick-name Doll, which I think came from her brother George, because she always carried her doll around. We (her grandchildren) called her Nanny Doll, and we enjoyed her so much. She was naive and funny, and was a stay at home wife that never learned to drive. My Grandfather, Walter, worked as an electrician for a union in Cleveland Ohio, and Nanny Doll was an immaculate housewife who liked to drink a boiler maker (a beer and shot of whiskey) and liverwurst cheese at lunchtime!! She lost her first baby girl after 2 days of labor where she almost died. She often told us the story of how she saw herself standing outside the pearly gates, but instead of going in she was drawn back to her body. It was many years before my Dad was born because she was so afraid of childbirth after that. My Dad, Robert (Bob) was an only child and a very "Peppy" child that began to get serious about school in college and graduated with a degree in Veterinary medicine. He married my mother Mary Beth (Beth) Hartley, who was a nursing student at Ohio State. I was their first daughter born on campus at the Ohio State University Hospital. After graduation my Dad accepted a job with another Veterinarian in Norfolk, Va and that is how we ended up here. My parents had 3 more daughters, Linda, Leslie, and Leanne. I have two sons, Steve and Dave; Leslie has twin boys Brock and Joe; and Leanne has two Daughters Jamie and Jenna.

    ReplyDelete